South Indian cuisine are known for its healthy recipes and rava idli (suji idli) is one of the simple and instant recipe which combines the goodness of many dals and spices. It’s not just healthy and irresistible but also very easy to prepare too. I am sharing the recipe of making soft and fluffy home made idli with its authentic taste. Rava idlis are best served for guests as its very unique and easy to prepare.
- 1 cup bombay rava / sooji / semolina
- ½-1 cup curd
- 1 carrot
- Pinch of hing / asafoetida
- Water (adjust according to consistency)
- 10 cashews
- 2 springs coriander leaves
- ¾ tsp baking soda (or) eno fruit salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dhal
- ½ tsp channa dhal
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|10 min||15 min||25 min||2-3|
- Take a tsp of oil and add mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal, curry leaves, hing.
- Allow to splutter then add turmeric powder and carrot and saute until it shrinks and raw smell leaves.
- Then add rava and roast on a medium flame for 3mins. Allow it to cool down for few mins.
- Transfer this mixture to a bowl and add curd, broken cashews, chopped coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
- Add water little by little(as required) to form idly batter consistency.
- Add baking soda / eno fruit salt and mix, it will become frothy. After adding baking soda do not let it sit for more time.
- Grease the plates with oil and place each roasted cashew upside down on the idli plate. Pour the batter immediately into the idli moulds and steam it for 5-8 mins.
- Allow it to rest for 5 mins then unmould.
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
- After 5-8 mins, insert a knife or fork in the middle and check – If it comes out clean then your idlis are done else steam it for few more mins.
- Make sure you don’t allow the batter to rest , after baking soda is added.
- You can use enofruit salt for best results likes the ones we get in restaurants. It gives a more porous texture. But baking soda does a good job too.
- You can even add green chilli paste for spice level.
- Always steam it on medium flame to make idlis more spongy