Stuffed capsicums are a colourful, healthy and hearty meal with countless variations on the recipe including potato, cheese, paneer or any twist of your choice. Serve these heavenly stuffed capsicums packed full of potato. Not only do they look incredible, they taste amazing. Have one each as a starter, or two as a hearty main meal.
- 3 large capsicum / bell pepper (colour of your choice)
- 3 large potatoes / aloo
- ½ tsp mustard seeds / rai
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chilli / hari mirch
- ½ tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala (any masala of your choice)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 6-7 tsp oil
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||35 min||40 min||2-3|
- First, boil the potatoes till they completely tender and cooked thoroughly. Peel and grate the potatoes. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onion, tomato and chilli and also slice off the tops of the capsicum. Remove the seeds. Rinse them in water and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Keep aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil. Fry the cumin seeds and mustard seeds first and then add chopped onions.
- Salute the onions till translucent. Add chopped green chilies and ginger garlic paste.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy. Then add peas and cook for a minute or two. (I have used frozen peas so it doesn’t take much time to cook peas. Make sure you cook peas before in hand by boiling it in hot water)
- Add the potatoes and mix everything.
- Salute the potatoes for 2 mins and then add turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala (any masala of your choice), coriander powder, chat masala and salt to taste.
- Allow the spiced potato stuffing to cool by spreading in a wide plate.
- With a spoon or with your hands, stuff the potato mixture into the capsicum.
- Now you can bake them or salute in a pan. Heat oil in a pan or kadai / wok and place the stuffed capsicum in the pan.
- Sprinkle few drop of oil along with salt and pepper over the stuffed capsicum.
- Cover the pan and allow the stuffed capsicum to cook on a low flame.
- You will have to check often after every 5 to 6 mins and keep on changing the sides of the capsicum, so that all sides are cooked well.
- Capsicum has to get golden and wrinkle. It takes about 25 mins to cook these on a low flame.
- Arrange the stuffed capsicum on a serving plate and serve immediately.
- Always select big sized capsicum to have more filling in it.
- Cook in low flame. Alternatively you can make use of oven to bake the capsicum.
- Sprinkle some oil in between; while cooking capsicum to avoid burning. Make use of spray oil to ease your process.
- Do not forget to sprinkle some salt and pepper while cooking the capsicum. Else capsicum ends up tasteless.
- Cook capsicums till their skin turns golden and wrinkle.