Akki rotti is the tasty and mouth watering variety breakfast in every kannadigas house which can be prepared easily and instantly. It is made up of rice flour which is mixed with salt and water and kneaded well to make a soft dough. Chopped onion, ginger, chilli and coriander, cumin seeds can also be added while kneading the dough. Oil is spread over a griddle (tava) or wok and a small amount of the dough is stretched to a thin sheet to cover the entire griddle (rotti). A small amount of oil is spread over it and the griddle is placed over heat till the rotti turns golden brown. Akki Rotti is served hot and is eaten along with chutney. A dash of butter or ghee with Akki Rotti is also preferred. Another way of making Akki Rotti easily is to spread the dough over a sheet / leaf and then cook it over the griddle with the leaf / sheet on the top.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 1-2 green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 2-3 tsp coriander leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida/hing
- Salt to taste
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|10 min||15 min||25 min||6-7 rotti|
- Finely chop onions, coriander leaves, ginger and green chillies.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together, rice flour, finely chopped onions, ginger, hing, coriander leaves, green chillies, cumin seeds and salt needed. Add needed water and prepare a soft dough.
- You may pat the dough on a small cut banana leaf / aluminium sheet or on a plastic sheet.
- Grease the aluminum foil with oil.
- Take a ball of dough and spread it evenly and as thinly as possible as shown in the picture below. You can grease your fingers with oil / water to make spreading easier.
- If the dough is cracking at the edges, dip your finger in some water and gather it and seal the crack.
- As you are working on the dough; place a heavy griddle on heat.
- Once the griddle is hot enough, be gentle and drop the sheet upside down on the griddle.
- After a minute, gently peel the sheet off.
- Smear some oil around the rotti and cook on one side first for ½ a minute. Flip it over and smear a little more oil, cook until this side has been cooked well.
- Make sure to roast until golden brown.
- Remove and transfer to the serving dish.
- Meanwhile, you would have been able to pat out the next dough portion. Cook this to a rotti.
- Likewise, work all the dough and pack them one on top of the other on the serving dish.
- Take care that a patted out dough does not dry out much, else it will tear while flipping or taking out.
- Serve the rotti hot with chutney and tea.
Click here to check other Breakfast recipes.