Beetroot Pachadi popularly known as Beetroot Saasmi in Udupi – Mangalore Regions. The gorgeous bright red beetroots are grated and then cooked for few minutes and later mixed with coconut – mustard seeds paste to get the bright pink color to beetroot saasmi. The flavor of saasmi is mild and has a light sweet taste and tamarind, chilli gives the tangy and spicy note to it. Beetroot Saasmi / pachadi is best served with hot steamed rice. It can also be served with idli, dosa or chapathi.
- 1 medium sized beetroot
- 1-2 green chilli / hari mirchi
- ½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- ½ cup grated / desiccate coconut
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Small ball sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil / cooking oil
- ½ split black gram lentil / urad dal
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- Few curry leaves
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||10 min||15 min||3-4|
- Wash, peel and grate beetroot using grater.
- Cook the grated beetroot till soft adding around ½ cup of water. It takes just few minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, 1 tsp mustard seeds, green chilly and tamarind to a fine paste.
- Mix the ground coconut paste, turmeric powder and salt with cooked beetroot. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Heat a seasoning pan adding oil, mustard seeds, split black gram lentil, curry leaves and hing. When mustard seeds start to sizzle and pop, transfer it to beetroot saasmi.
- Serve beetroot saasmi or pachadi with hot steamed rice.
Click here to check other palya recipes.