Badanekai palya is popullary called as gulla palya in Udupi and MAngalore regions. Gulla palya is thinly sliced eggplant delicately cooked in a tangy tamarind puree and sweet jaggery and lightly spiced up with aromatic sambar powder to give it extra flavour and aroma is a favourite dish in our family. Unlike other usual Palyas where we just stir fry vegetables, this Badane Palya is packed with three different flavours. The finished product is a silky smooth eggplant which tickles your taste bud and makes very satisfying meal all together. Badane Palya is relishing with steam cooked rice and chilled yogurt.
- 1 big gulla / eggplant
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 small lime sized tamarind
- 1-2 tsp jaggery
- 1 tsp sambar / rasam Powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tsp Oil
- ½ tbsp channa dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilli
- A pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||10 min||15 min||3-4|
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze out the pulp.
- In a mean while cut the gulla / eggplant in the middle vertically and cut each halve into long, thin, vertical stripes. Chop these strips into 2 inch pieces.
- Keep them immersed in cold water till needed. Soaking eggplants in cold water will help in stopping the eggplant pieces turning dark in colour and also helps in reducing bitterness.
- Heat 4-5 tsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add channa dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, dry red chilli, hing / asafoetida and few curry leaves.
- When mustard stars to pop and sputter add the tamarind extract, chopped eggplant, turmeric, salt and jaggery. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes and sauté them slightly in between till all the water is evaporated and the eggplant is cooked well. .
- When the oil starts releasing from the side of the palya add sambar powder and mix them well.
- Cook this uncovered in medium to low flame for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve this sweet and sour Badane Palya hot with steamed rice.
Click here to check other palya recipes.