Spicy, tangy, lemony and crunchy, Lemon Rice is an authentic South Indian style rice recipe. Made in 5 minutes or less, this recipe is best served when in a hurry. It is considered to be a hassle-free lunch-box option, lemon rice is a favorite with young and old alike in Southern India. Lemon adds the tanginess, while the tempering imparts the aroma to this simple rice delicacy. You can make lemon rice with freshly cooked rice or even with left over rice.
- 1½ cup rice / chawal
- ½ lemon / nimbu
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal / spilt & skinned black gram
- 1 green chili / hari mirch
- 1 dry red chilies / sookhi lal mirch
- 12-15 curry leaves / kadi patta
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 1 tbsp cashews / kaju
- ¼ cup peanuts / moongphalli
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|15 min||3 min||18 min||2|
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Rinse 1½ cup of rice and add 4 cups water.
- Cover the lid tightly and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, till the rice grains are cooked.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Spread the rice on a plate or in a bowl and allow it cool.
- In a frying pan add 4-5 tsp of oil and roast the peanuts till they are crisp and browned.
- Remove the peanuts and keep aside.
- Then in the same frying pan, roast the cashew nuts till light brown.
- Remove the cashew nuts and keep aside.
- Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal.
- Crackle the mustard and brown the urad dal.
- Add the red chilies, green chilies and curry leaves, fry for 12-15 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, peanuts and fry everything on a low flame, so that the spices don’t burn. Switch off the flame.
- Add the cooled rice to the mixture.
- Next add the lemon juice along with salt..
- Stir and mix well.
- Keep the lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish the lemon rice with coriander leaves and cashews.
- Then serve this aromatic lemon rice with your favorite raita, curd or sandige menasu.
Click here to check other Rice recipes.