Buttermilk / Neer-ale / Majjige / Mor / Masala Chaas is flavored Indian buttermilk. It is made with plain yogurt, green chili, coriander leaves, ginger and lemon. Majjige / butermilk is perfect beverage in hot weather also helps in easy digestion after a heavy meal. All the ingredients are up to taste; you can change the quantity as per taste.
- 2 cups plain yogurt or curd
- 1 green chilli
- 3 tsp coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ lemon
- 2 cups chilled water
- Ice cubes – few, for serving, optional
- 1 tsp oil / ghee
- ¼ tsp urad dal (split, skinned black gram)
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds / rai or sarson
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 red chili / lal mirch
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- Salt to taste
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||5 min||10 min||2|
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Chop the ginger, green chilli and coriander leaves.
- Blend roughly the above ingredients in a small blender for about 30 secs with 2 tsp of thick yogurt / curd.
- In a large blender add 2 cups of yogurt / curd and 1½ cup of chilled water. Blend well.
- Combine the ground masala, salt to the blended yogurt and mix well, so everything is incorporated well.
- For tempering, heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and pour the tempering over the buttermilk.
- Add a hint of lemon juice to get the tangy flavor.
- Garnish with coriander and lemon. Serve chilled.