Rajma biryani is the healthy, protein packed steamed rice with the red kidney beans / rajma. Cooking biryani takes some time and it should be cooked with lots of love and care. It is one of the most grand, noble and delectable recipe from India. Biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes caused by the blending of the ingredients used in making it.
- 1 cup kidney beans / rajma
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 cup mint leaves / pudina
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp curd
- 2 tsp biryani masala
- 3-4 cloves (optional)
- 2-3 cardamoms (optional)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|20 min||30 min||50 min||4|
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Rinse basmati rice very well in water.
- Heat 5 cups of water in a pan.
- Add the whole spices if you prefer.
- Then add the rice, 1 tsp oil and turmeric powder. Season with salt.
- On the same flame intensity, simmer the rice till the grains are ¾th cooked.
- Drain the cooked rice in a colander and keep aside.
Preparing Rajma gravy:
- Rinse and soak the rajma or kidney beans in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Next day, discard the water and rinse the beans again in fresh water.
- In a pressure cooker, take both the rajma and 4 cups water and salt.
- Pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 5-8 minutes.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid, check if the rajma is cooked or not by taking a bite or pressing a bean.
- If they are not cooked completely, then pressure cook again adding some water if required for some minutes.
- Strain the rajma first and keep it aside.
- Keep the stock also aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil along with a 3 tsp of butter in the cooker. (adding oil will prevent butte from burning)
- You can add the whole spices to the butter. Stir and salute till they turn fragrant. I am using biryani masala so skipping this step.
- Add 2 cups of thinly sliced onions.
- Stir and saute the onions till they turn golden. Add a pinch of salt to fasten the cooking process.
- Add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, few ginger and sliced green chilli. Saute the ginger-garlic paste till their raw aroma goes away.
- Add the spice powders – ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp of biryani masala.
- If you are not using biryani masala then add 3 cloves, 4-5 cardamoms, ½ red chilli powder and ½ tsp garam masala powder. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Add kidney beans (rajma), mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and stock, stir to mix and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add yogurt, mint leaves, coriander leaves and mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- The rajma have to be cooked well but should retain its shape. The gravy should also thicken and should not be of watery consistency.
- Stir very well. Check the taste and add more salt if required.
- Spread evenly the cooked rice over the gravy.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp chopped mint leaves and ½ tsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Add ½ – 1 cup of milk spreading evenly over the rice.
- Make some gaps between so that the rice gets mixed up with the aroma of rajma masala while cooking.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 1 whistle in a medium flame.
- Allow the biryani to stand for some minutes. Then serve this aromatic spiced Rajma biryani with your favorite raita.