Groundnut chutney / Peanut chutney is tangy, spicy and creamy with minimum ingredients, maximum taste and flavor. A very nice chutney that goes well with idli, dosa and the other Udupi breakfast varieties. Groundnut Chutney recipe has very few ingredients and the peanuts shine. Moreover, it is really nutty and tasty and very creamy.
- ¼ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal/bengal gram
- 1-2 green chili
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- Small ball of tamarind
- 5-7 curry leaves
- 1 or 2 tsp oil
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds / rai or sarson
- ½ tsp urad dal / split skinned black gram
- salt as required
- water as required
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||7 min||12 min||1 small bowl|
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Dry roast peanuts on a low flame to ensure even roasting. Once it is crisp, transfer to a plate for cooling.
- Add the roasted chana dal, sesame seeds and asafoetida and fry for 2-3 minutes more on a low flame with a tsp of oil.
- Lastly add green chillies and fry.
- Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Remove the skin of the peanuts.
- Place them in the mixer and grind with coconut, tamarind, salt and water. Make sure you grind them smoothly.
- You can make the peanut chutney thick or of medium consistency.
- Check the salt and add more if required.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal. Fry the urad dal till it becomes brown.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida.
- Fry for a minute. Immediately pour the tempering on the chutney.
- Mix it well with the chutney.
- Serve peanut chutney with idli, dosa, medu vada, uttapam or pakoras.
Click here to check other Chutney recipes.