Shamige payasa also known as vermicelli kheer / seviyan kheer is a must at any festival in Udupi. A mouth-watering delicacy which is very easy to make and offer to Lord Ganesha on Ganesha Chaturthi also called as Vinayaka Chaturthi
In Udupi, payasa also makes extensive use of jaggery and coconut milk in place of sugar and milk. Payasa or payasam is served first at any formal or auspicious occasions. Payasam is also served after rasam rice, while rice with buttermilk forms the last item of the meal in Udupi meals.
- 1 or 1.5 cups broken vermicelli/seviyan/shamige
- 500 ml milk
- 5 tbsp sugar – add more or less for your preferred sweetness
- 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 4-5 green cardamom pods
- 7-8 roasted or fried unsalted almonds
- 7-8 roasted or fried cashew nuts
- 2 tsp raisins
- any dry fruits of your choice
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the vermicelli/seviyan/shamige and fry till they become golden brown.
- Take it out in a plate and keep it aside.
- Pour the milk in the same kadai, add cardamom and let it come to a boil.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Now add vermicelli/seviyan/shamige to the boiling milk.
- Lower the flame and let the milk simmer for 5-7 minutes till the seviyan gets cooked.
- Lastly add chopped almonds, cashews, raisins or any dry fruits.
- Serve the seviyan kheer hot, warm or cold.
- If serving cold, then refrigerate the seviyan kheer and then serve later.