Sabakki khichdi / Sabudana Khichdi is usually made during fasting days like ekadashi, navratri or mahashivratri in Udupi, India. Sabudana khichdi is an easy snack and is a good recipe to be made during fasting days but it requires little experience to get the perfect texture in the sabudana pearls.
To make sabudana khichdi perfect, you need to keep few points in your mind. First soak sabudana well. Some requires 2-3 hours soaking and some require 8 hours of soaking. Soaking time is depends on quality of sabudana. So experiment with your sabudana and decide soaking time. Mine needed overnight soaking. It is very crucial to soak sabudana properly whenever you are making any dish from sabudana. Second drain soaked sabudana well. If drained properly then it won’t be sticky.
- 2 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls
- 1 small to medium size potatoes/aloo
- ½ cup roasted peanuts/moongphali
- 8-10 curry leaves/kadi patta (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger/adrak
- 1 green chili/hari mirch
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar or as required
- ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt as required
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Soak sabudana overnight or for at-least 3-5 hours according to the quality.
- Next day wash the sabudana 3-4 times to get rid of starch and drain the sabudana very well and keep aside in a bowl.
- Boil the potatoes and when warm peel and chop them.
- In a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and allow it to cool.
- When cooled peal the skin and make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
- Now heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- Now add the curry leaves and green chilies and ginger. Fry for half a minute so that smell of ginger goes away.
- Now add potato and salt and later saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coarsely powdered peanuts and mix well.
- Add the sabudana. Keep on stirring the mixture.
- When the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
- Don’t over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
- Lastly add grated coconut if you prefer. Mix well. Close the fire.
- While serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
- Serve sabudana khichdi hot.