Udnittu / Uddina Hittu is one of the signature side dishes of Udupi prepared with urad dal flour and yogurt as a main ingredients. Uddu means ‘Split black lentils’ in Kannada and hittu translates to ‘powder’. So here you go, summoning the whole recipe in a sentence – curry made out of split black lentils powder. As easy as it sounds, it is even more easier to make. Combining urda dal flour (split black lentil flour) with thick yogurt and tempering it in coconut oil with green chillies and ginger along spices makes a bowlful of creamy, spicy udnittu. Biting a fried sun dried green chilli with each gulp of rice, udnittu tastes even better.
- 10 tsp of urad dal / 5 tsp urad dal flour
- 1 cup thick curd / yogurt
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 chilli
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Finely chop the ginger, chilli and keep them aside.
- If you do not have urad dal powder then powder the urad dal in the blender to fine powder (do not roast the urad dal; powder them raw).
- Whisk the curd (make sure the curd is not too sour and use thick curd to get the desired consistency) along with the flour so that flour gets blended well with curds.
- Add salt, chopped chilli, ginger to it and mix well.
- Heat the pan, add 1 spoon coconut oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida / hing, curry leaves.
- Fry it for few seconds till the mustard seed splutter.
- Transfer the seasonings to the mixture and mix well.
- Serve it along with hot steamed rice topping it with coconut oil and fried sun dried chilli.
Click here to check other Tambuli recipes.