Khara Avalakki is one of the staple breakfast recipe popularly made for breakfast or an evening tiffin in Karnataka. It is a quick snack made from beaten rice that is spiced and flavored with an aromatic seasoning. Serve the Khara Avalakki along with a mixture, curd or simply as it is along with a smoothie or tea.
- 2 cups avalakki (poha/beaten rice)
- 1 onion
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon halved white urad dal
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp oil
- Sugar as required ( i usually add up to 1 tsp of sugar)
- Salt to taste
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Wash the beaten rice under water well. You can use a large strainer for washing and draining.
- After the wash, allow it to soak in water for about 10 minutes so that it gets softened.
- They should loose their crunchiness and when you break them between your finger, they should easily get crushed or mashed.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add in the mustard seeds, urad dal and jeera and allow mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add peanuts in the pan and fry till they become crunchy.
- Stir in the chopped onions, chilli, ginger and curry leaves and stir fry until the onions are tender.
- Stir in the turmeric powder, salt, sugar and asafoetida and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the poha and stir on a low flame.
- Cook for 1 or 1.5 minutes and give a stir again.
- Switch off the fire and cover the poha with lid for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle some lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Give a gentle stir and serve khara poha hot with curd and mixture along with tea.
Click here to check other Breakfast recipes.