Kadle-Uddina bele chutney is a South Indian Chutney / Pachadi. Channa Dal – Split Black Lentils Chutney is mainly had with steamed rice / ganji but can also have with idli and Dosa. When you want a break from regular chutney recipes, Kadle-Uddina bele Chutney recipe can help you. This chutney tends to become more thick, so add necessary water before serving.
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut or 1 cup desiccated coconut (coconut powder)
- 2 tbsp kadle bele / channa dal
- 3-4 red chili / lal mirch
- 3 tsp of urad dal / split, skinned black gram
- Small ball of tamarind
- ½ tsp jaggery
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds / rai or sarson
- 1 sprig of curry leaves / kadi patta
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Take a frying pan with 1 tsp of oil.
- Roast 2 red chilli along with 2 tsp of urad dal and channa dal.
- Keep the heat on medium and frequently stirring roast the ingredients without letting any of them burn.
- After about 4-5 minutes, kadle bele turns light pink and becomes crispy and the red chilies look toasted (without black spots).
- Switch off and let cool.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with coconut, jaggery, tamarind, salt and ½ cup of water to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal. Fry the urad dal till it becomes brown.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida.
- Fry for a minute. Immediately pour the tempering on the chutney.
- Mix it well with the chutney.
- Serve kadle-urad bele chutney with steamed rice / ganji or any idli, dosa, vada or pakoda of your choice.
Click here to check other Chutney recipes.