Sevai Uppitu / Vermicelli Upma / Seviyan Upma is another version of making popular Udupi breakfast recipe of uppittu / upma. Uppittu is traditionally made from bombay rava / semolina / suji but you can also make it with seviyan or vermicelli and it tastes yum.
- 2 cups seviyan or fine whole wheat vermicelli
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 9-10 curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 red chili, whole (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 4 cup water
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- salt as required
- sugar (optional)
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|10 min||5 min||15 min||2|
- First roast the vermicelli till browned with 1-2 tsp of oil or you can use ready roasted vermicelli.
- Spread thevermicelli on a plate or in a bowl and allow it cool.
- Boil the water in a large vessel adding some salt.
- Add roasted vermicelli to the water and cook till they are soft – approximately 5 minutes.
- Drain the vermicelli and keep it aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, asafoetida and let the mustard seeds pop in the oil.
- Add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Now add the curry leaves, ginger, green chill, red chili (optional) and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
- Add turmeric, salt, sugar and stir for a few seconds.
- Now add the drained vermicelli and lower the flame.
- Mix the vermicelli well.
- Next add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Serve the sevai uppittu garnished with some coriander leaves.