Tomato Dosa is popularly called as ‘Tomlet’ in Udupi. It is mixed combination of tangy, spicy and yummy. If you are bored of eating same old Dosa’s, you must try this as they are not only easy to make but a real treat to your taste buds.
You can prepare tomlet, if you have dosa batter left out at home. Suppose you do not have dosa batter at home, then you can skip Dosa batter and add more amount of Besan to the mix. Personally I prefer the first one.The second one is good but it turns to be too soft.
- 2 cups dosa batter
- 3 tsp of besan / kaddle hittu
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp of turmeric
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- ½ inch ginger
- ½ onion
- 2 tsp of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Cut tomatoes into big chunks and grind them without adding water into the fine paste.
- Blend the dosa batter, besan and the above tomato paste for 30 seconds to mix well. Do not forget to add besan as it gives softness to the batter.
- Take the ground batter to a vessel.
- Add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chilli, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a tissue.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread little bit in a circular motion.
- Add oil, if preferred.
- Close it with a lid and cook on medium flame.
- Let it fry until the base of the dosa turns golden brown and the batter on the surface should look completely cooked (in presence of steam).
- Then fry the dosa on the other side until it turns light brown.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Click here to check other Dosa recipes.