Palak tambuli is yet another authentic dish from Udupi that is a mixture of curd and palak / spinach leaves. It’s medicinal properties are limitless since most of the greens have medicinal properties apart from fulfilling the nutrition quotient. A rare combination of chilli, cumin and the greens along with yogurt gives the flavored taste.
- 2 cups palak / spinach
- 1 cup curd
- ½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 2-3 tsp water
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida / hing
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Serves|
|5 min||5 min||10 min||3-4|
- Rinse the palak or spinach leaves very well in running water. Tender stem are fine. if the stems are stringy, then discard the stems.
- Boil 3 cups water in a pan add the palak leaves in the hot water. close with a lid and let the palak leaves sit in the water for 2-3 mins.
- Strain the palak leaves.
- Add strained palak to the blender along with coconut, green chilli, cumin seeds and grind to fine paste adding minimum water.
- Now transfer this in a bowl, add whisked curds / butter milk and mix it well. Adjust the consistency by adding water, it should be thinner than chutney.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Now in a seasoning pan heat ghee, add mustard, jeera, red chilli, curry leaves, hing.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add it to tambuli.
- Serve it along with hot steamed rice.
Click here to check other Tambuli recipes.