Just blend fresh / desiccated coconut with chilli, tamarind and salt. Later temper with mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal, red chilli, few curry leaves and hing. Follow the recipe and discover the taste of Udupi chutney at your home.
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut or 1 cup desiccated coconut (coconut powder)
- 1 green chili / hari mirch
- Small ball of tamarind
- 1 tsp urad dal (split, skinned black gram)
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds / rai or sarson
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 sprig of curry leaves / kadi patta
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 1 red chili / lal mirch
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Grind together coconut, tamarind, chilli, salt with little hot water to a smooth consistency.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till the urad dal till it becomes brown.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida.
- Fry for a minute. Immediately pour the tempering on the coconut chutney.
- Mix it well with the coconut chutney.
- Serve coconut chutney with any idli, dosa, vada or pakoda of your choice.
Click here to check other Chutney recipes.