Veg fried rice prepared in Udupi is usually plain and simple, so that the flavors of the vegetables are enhanced. Fried rice is a very common cuisine nowadays in Udupi restaurants, especially in the form sold as fast food. Beside the regular vegetables like carrots, beans, peas, capsicum, spring onion used in the fried rice, I have also added Broccoli. You can add your choice of vegetables when you make this fried rice. You can make this veg fried rice from freshly cooked rice or leftover rice.
Remember not to over cook the rice, they have to be al dente or just cooked. Always drain and completely cool the rice before you stir fry them with the veggies. If the rice is not cooled and added hot or warm, you won’t get a perfect texture and the rice grains will break and become mushy.
- 1 cup long grained rice or basmati rice
- 4.5 to 5 cups water
- 2 to 3 drops of oil
- 2 spring onion whites/scallions,
- ½ carrot
- ½ capsicum
- 4-5 french beans
- 5 florets of broccoli
- ¼ cup peas
- 3 to 4 small sized garlic
- ½ inch ginger (optional)
- 3 tsp naturally fermented soy sauce or add as required
- 1 tsp rice vinegar or regular vinegar,
- ½ tsp black pepper powder or add as required
- 1 tsp peppers
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp vegetable oil or any other oil
- Salt as required
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Rinse rice very well till the water runs clear of starch.
- In a pot, bring to a gentle boil 4.5 to 5 cups of water with salt, 1 tsp of pepper and 2 to 3 drops of oil.
- Add the rinsed rice to the hot water.
- On a low to medium flame cook the rice without the lid.
- When the rice becomes al dente or just cooked, remove the pot from fire and drain the rice.
- You can also gently rinse the rice in water so that they stop cooking and don’t stick to each other.
- Keep aside till the rice cools completely.
- When the rice is cooling, chop the veggies finely and keep aside. Remember to chop the french beans very finely. they take more time to cook than other veggies. You can also blanch them first and then cook. Another option is to add the beans first and then add the other vegetables.
- Heat oil in a wok or a pan. First add the star anise and fry for some seconds or till the oil becomes fragrant.
- Add the garlic and saute for few seconds. No need to brown the garlic. At this stage, you can also add ginger, if you prefer.
- Add the spring onions whites/scallions and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Then add all the finely chopped veggies. Increase the flame on a high and stir fry the veggies on a high flame.
- You have to continuously toss and stir while frying so that the veggies are uniformly cooked and do not get burnt.
- The veggies have to be stir fried, till they are almost cooked and yet retain their crunchiness and crispiness.
- Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir quickly and add the rice.
- Stir fry for a few minutes till the sauce has coated the fried rice well. Keep a check when adding salt, as soy sauce already has salt in it.
- Serve the veg fried rice hot plain or with dal.
Click here to check other Rice recipes.