Bajil Upkari / Avalakki Upkari was a popular breakfast dish in most marriage functions of 1980’s which later got replaced by Idli Sambar in Udupi. For breakfast, upkari is always served in combo with uppittu / upma. This combo is commonly called as “Bajil-Sajjige” in tulu.
- 2 cups Thin rice flakes / beaten rice flakes
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1 strand curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chillies
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
Lets start the recipe step by step:
- Heat the seasoning pan and add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves to it. When the mustard seeds splutter and urad dal changes its color switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Now take a big mixing bowl and add grated coconut, sugar, salt, seasonings prepared above and coriander leaves.
- Mix it well using your hands. Now the avalakki upkari mix is ready.
- Add avalakki/ thin flakes to the upkari mix and blend it well again with your hands by adding 2 tsp of milk.
- Avalakki absorbs the flavors, spices and becomes soft.
- So serve after 15 minutes with hot uppittu.